Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shortcomings...

If there's one thing in the world that is the toughest for me, it is falling short. I have tried my entire life to be someone that makes the effort to be exactly where I need to be...in school, with my relationships, with singing, etc. However, I realized today (yet again) that I'm not perfect. Ha. Imagine that...(please note the sarcasm in that statement!)

Seriously, I don't think that I'm perfect, but sometimes we all have the tendency to think we're "exempt from messing up royally." I proved that theory wrong today. I am sad to look back and see how I allowed such a horrible attitude to ruin my day and be so hurtful. Days like this aren't fun to have on your record.

Romans 3:23 says, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." I find it funny that the 'fall short' isn't in the past tense. For me, that says a lot. It's a continual thing! I will never get to a point to where shortcomings are in my past. Sure, I must pray daily that I'll become more like Jesus, but unfortunately, I'll never arrive at perfection.

We've been talking about suffering (mainly in 1 Peter) a lot at generation church lately. Most of us suffer because we stink at being like Jesus. Those mistakes result in hurting ourselves and others in some way, shape or form. There's one thing that stands out to me most in learning about suffering-- Our suffering for Jesus transforms our faith and points us toward what we should strive to live for each day: an eternal relationship with Him. This relationship will no longer be hindered by our shortcomings or those of others. With that in mind, I can be glad and have faith to humbly say that the final outcome of my shortcomings is nothing less than Jesus offering His forgiveness towards me and protecting me despite how I fail him continually. That faith reveals God's glory, and with that in mind...the rest of this day can be good.



No comments:

Post a Comment