Sunday, September 25, 2011

We cheated....[paleo recap]

So, Andrew and I cheated on our paleo diet today. It was totally planned, since we recently completed 30 days of pretty strict paleo. As mentioned in an earlier post, we have been planning this day for a while. The verdict:



Yep, we already feel the effects. Andrew is a little worse than me, but he's always had very pronounced tummy issues. Our cheat meals of choice tonight were:

Andrew-papa john's pizza (extra cheese, extra pepperoni, extra sauce, and one 1/2 with bacon)
Meagan-zaxby's chicken finger plate with extra sauce

I will say that the best part was just knowing I could eat it. Honestly, I don't miss the feeling afterwards. Robb Wolf is right....30 days of paleo just doesn't let you "go back" to your old ways.
So, I'm sure we'll stick with the gluten free aspect of paleo, but I've loved the positive aspects of true paleo as well. I am fitting into clothes that I'd taken out of the lineup a while ago. "College jeans" have been my favorite new returned wardrobe item!

*disclaimer: true paleo is eating only raw vegetables* However, for us that's just not completely feasible. So, we figure veggies are better than no veggies at all.

After reading Robb Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution, I'm convinced that we are all celiac patients...just to varying degrees. Your body's just not made to digest gluten (found in wheat, barley, and rye). I also believe that we are addicted to refined sugar and processed foods. I am speaking from personal experience. The proof's in the outcome after 30 days! I have told tons of people about this new lifestyle, and have actually had a lot willing/wanting to try it. So, the paleo "lifestyle" is spreading. I think the biggest plus is that this is more than just a diet. Once you get past the initial hurdle of detoxing your body from it's bad food habits, you feel so much better. Some cases have even shown a REVERSE in disease process. Hello? Why would you NOT just at least give it a 30 day try? I will warn you though...it's not for the weak. It will take some discipline. If you have it, go for it. If not...keep feeling like junk every time you eat junk. It's up to you! I'm not saying that you can't cheat every once and a while. I know that we will (especially around the holidays.) However, you'll really start examining what you eat and why. This is the best thing that I learned after 30 days. I'm so glad that we did it, and I can't wait to see how it impacts our health in the future!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment