Monday, April 26, 2010

"Can you see????"

Tonight, Andrew and I had the opportunity to help with the National Federation of the Blind's fundraiser. Each year, the NFB holds a barbecue, and we volunteered to walk some of "the blind" (oohhh...that sounds bad) around various parts of the city to sell tickets. Andrew and I were able to pair up with Justin, who's a member of generation church. It was so much fun! We met some interesting folks, and we managed to sell 24 tickets. At $7 each...that's pretty good. Our last stop was where we hit the jackpot. It was the sweetest man, a retired orthodontist who enjoyed our company...very much! Not to sound all cocky, but he was a huge fan of me. I know that sounds bad, but it was just so cute how he kept asking Andrew things like, "How'd you get so lucky?" Hey, it made my day. The day I'm not attractive to an 82 year old...I'm in trouble ;-) He bought 7 tickets, and Justin said that I could be the MVP for the day. Other highlights: almost getting attacked by a dog, seeing a man with his t-shirt tucked into his underwear, having a lady on a guilt trip who said "no" at first chasing us down in her car to make a donation, and meeting a super sweet couple who we got to talk with for a few minutes (their daughter was adorable!) Probably the funniest moment, which unfortunately I missed, was Andrew's van story. Volunteers dropped everyone off on their assigned streets. As Andrew was getting into the passenger seat of the van, the driver looked over at him and quickly asked, "Can you see???" After Andrew said, "Uhh, yes," the driver handed him some papers and said, "Good. I'm looking for Whittaker Street." Andrew almost died telling me that story. Sadly, we didn't take any pictures. Are you surprised? We finished off the night with pizza and cupcakes. What a good Monday.






No comments:

Post a Comment