Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Supposed to share this a long time ago...


There are a few things that you learn (very quickly) when growing up in your home. For me, those were love God, don't disobey, and if you're going to cook something-- do it right! I am not saying that all the Brown-Weeks recipes are perfect, but I always thought so as a kid! Right before Andrew and I got married, I attempted the family recipe for macaroni and cheese (which my Grandmama would refer to as "cheese pie"...with good reason!) He loved it, and I've made it several times since then, so here it is for all you who I've promised I'll send it to.

Ingredients:

1 - 1 1/2 cups of noodles (cooked)
16 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese (I always buy it in blocks and shred my own)
*For a really big mac and cheese, you can shred (4) 8oz. blocks, but (3) 8oz. blocks should be plenty
butter (sticks usually work best here)
1 can carnation milk
3 eggs
salt/pepper

-Butter the bottom and sides of your dish
-Start at the bottom with a layer of shredded cheese
-add some noodles
-add another layer of cheese, then dot with butter, and add a little salt and pepper
-repeat this pattern of layering until you get close to the top of your dish
-on top of the last layer, use salt and pepper and dot with butter
-Beat 3 eggs in a bowl and combine with can of carnation milk
-After mixing well, pour mixture over the macaroni (this can be tricky!). Make Sure to pour a little and give it time to settle before adding more.
-I usually pour until it looks like the liquid is getting close to the top, but if you want your mac and cheese extra soupy...then the milk should come to the top layer. You can always add more milk if necessary.

-Bake uncovered @375 for about 40-45 minutes. You'll know it's done when it starts bubbling and begins to turn brown on the top.

Secrets to this recipe:
-layer the dish starting and ending with cheese
-always use more cheese than noodles (this is the big time secret!)
-when cooked, don't try to eat it right away...it will need time to set

Have fun!
Good luck!!!!!


1 comment: